The 2017 Innovation Awards, managed by the National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA) and judged by Boating Writers International (BWI), will be presented at the International BoatBuilders’ Exhibition and Conference (IBEX)during the annual Industry Breakfast on Tuesday, September 19, 7:30 am – 9:30 am in the Grand Ballroom at the Tampa Waterside Marriott Hotel. Eight judges with extensive technical boating product background are expected to review the nearly 90 new products submitted for IBEX‘s 2017 Innovation Awards, and all products entered will be on display throughout the duration of IBEX along Innovation Way, located inside the exhibit hall at the Tampa Convention Center.
The Innovation Awards honor achievement in product development in 13 areas of the marine industry: Boatbuilding Methods & Materials; Deck Equipment & Hardware; Furnishings & Interior Parts; Mechanical Systems; Electrical Systems; Inboard Engines; Outboard Engines; Boatyard and Dealer Hardware and Software; Propulsion Parts, Propellers; Boat Care and Maintenance; OEM Electronics; Trailers, Parts and Trailer Accessories; and Safety Equipment.
“IBEX is the perfect place for marine professionals to learn about the latest technology, services, and products in an industry that is becoming more and more innovative,” says Anne Dunbar, IBEX Show Director. “‘Rewarding ingenuity and honoring excellence is what the IBEX Innovation Awards stand for, and we look forward to recognizing this year’s award recipients during the Industry Breakfast.”
The panel of judges for the 2017 IBEX Innovation Awards are:
- Alan Wendt (Chair): Past President of Boating Writers International and contributing writer for Lakeland Boating & Southern Boating, Yacht Rendezvous Event Planner for Manufacturer based customer cruises.
- Zuzana Prochaska (Co-Chair): Writer and photographer who freelances for over a dozen boating and travel magazines. A USCG 100 Ton Master, Prochaska is the founder of Zescapes.com, a charter and flotilla organizer. She has served on the board of Boating Writers International for the past 12 years and heads up judging panels evaluating new boats and gear in the U.S. and abroad.
- Charlie Levine: Editor and publisher of FishTrack.com and Buoyweather.com, which provides weather, fishing charts and a database of articles for offshore anglers and mariners. Levine has worked as a journalist in the recreational marine industry for 18 years and is Second Vice President of Boating Writers International.
- Brady Kay: Executive editor of Pontoon & Deck Boat, Houseboat and Great Lakes Boating magazines and has served as an Innovation Award Judge on a couple of occasions. Kay recently earned a 2017 Grand Award from Apex Awards and has been a member of Boating Writers International for nearly 20 years.
- Craig Ritchie: Ritchie began his career writing consumer boat tests and industry trade content in the late 1980s as the assistant editor at Boat Guide and Boating Business magazines, which serve the Canadian market. Almost three decades later, Ritchie still contributes to both of them – along with trade titles like Boating Industry, Boating Industry Canada, Marine Business (Australia) and International Boat Industry (worldwide).
- Nigel Calder: Author of the ‘Boatowner’s Mechanical and Electrical Manual’, ‘Marine Diesel Engines’, ‘Cuba: A Cruising Guide’, and several other titles. Calder is a technical contributor and editor for various boating magazines; a member of the ABYC’s ‘Electrical PTC’; and a researcher into high efficiency energy systems for boats.
- Ben Ellison: Editor of Panbo, The Marine Electronics Hub – Ellison has been a sailor Buy Zithromax , power boater, do-it-yourselfer and apparently incurable boat nut since the early 70’s. This fall, he will again cruise and test his way south from Maine aboard an elaborately equipped Duffy 37 named Gizmo.
- Melissa Wood: Associate editor for Professional BoatBuilder magazine and an editor for national trade magazines covering commercial fishing and seafood. Based in Portland, Maine, Wood is also a freelance writer primarily focused on issues affecting coastal communities.
- “Judging the Innovation Awards is like peering through a looking glass into the future of boating, providing an opportunity to see brilliant minds in our industry at work combining new technology with inspirational design,” said Alan Wendt, Chair of Judging Panel and Past President of Boating Writers International.
Attendees to the IBEX Show can join hundreds of marine industry colleagues at the popular IBEX Industry Breakfast held on the opening morning. The program includes the State of the Industry address, delivered by NMMA President Thom Dammrich, followed by several short presentations of important industry awards including the IBEX Innovation Awards. Jim Craig, 1980 “Miracle on Ice” USA Olympic Hockey team goalie, will deliver this year’s Keynote address. Tickets are $35/per person. To register for IBEX and the Industry Breakfast, click here.
About the International BoatBuilder’ Exhibition & Conference (IBEX)
IBEX, Where Better Boats Begin (www.ibexshow.com), is the marine industry’s largest technical trade event in North America and is powered globally by METSTRADE, the world’s leading platform and community for professionals in the leisure marine equipment industry. IBEX is owned and produced by the National Marine Manufacturers Association(www.nmma.org) and RAI Amsterdam(www.rai.nl). The 2017 IBEX is scheduled to take place at the Tampa Convention Center, September 19 – 21, in Tampa, FL USA. For more information, please visit www.ibexshow.com.
About Boating Writers International (BWI)
BWI is a professional organization consisting of writers, editors, publishers, photographers, broadcasters, public relations specialists and others in the communications profession associated with the boating industry. Members are active marine journalists across the United States, Canada, Europe and beyond. Visit www.bwi.org for details.
About the image
- IBEX Announces Panel of Judges for 2017 Innovation Awards: CC0
- Gamescom 2017: Microsoft revealed its program: Gamescom/Kölnmesse
- pexels-photo-382297: CC0
- INCOMPAS to Debut Single Annual Trade Show in Fall: cc0
- Hollywood sign: cc0
- Statue of Liberty: CC0
- #COSMOPROF NORTH AMERICA HIGHLIGHTS PROFESSIONAL #BEAUTY WITH “DISCOVER PRO BEAUTY” Las Vegas: David Stanley / Flickr | CC BY 2.0
- New York Taxi: CC0
- AI EXPO 2017 finished with incredible success!: Pixabay
- Paul Horn Hall just in time for the CMT in Stuttgart: Messe Stuttgart
- The third edition of the World’s No. 1 IoT event is here!: CC0
- PERFECT BUNKMATES | ANALYTICA ANACON INDIA, INDIA LAB EXPO AND PHARMA PRO & PACK EXPO SHARE ONE LOCATION: analytica Anacon India Messe München | Messe München
- Webasto at the IAA: Press Release Webasto
- DMEXCO CONFERENCE PROGRAM 2017 ANNOUNCED: administration
- IFA: LG confirms a smartphone with curved OLED display: Flickr / Kārlis Dambrāns
- Messe Muenchen Luftaufnahme 1: Messe München | Messe München
- SOLUTRANS 2017: EXPECTED SUCCESS!: Pexels | CC0
- Smart shopping: what are the latest innovations in store?: Pixabay | CC0
- Optimism and confidence in the animal protein sector marks the opening of the 13th TecnoCarne in São Paulo: Pexels | CC0
- oils+fats leverages boost from drinktec: CC0 | CC0
- Milk discovers its diverse facets: CC0
- spoga horse award 2017: These are the nominees: CC0
- 51. CADEAUX Leipzig once again an indispensable platform for the retail trade: cadeaux-leipzig.de
- Kids go crazy for e-mountain bikes: CC0
- Exhibitors double space for FESPA Eurasia 2017: CC0
- Nominees unique youngstar 2017, Rollingtable, Gregor Stober & Johannes Bauer: Kölnmesse
- brandenburger-tor-IFA GLOBAL MARKETS EXPERT TALKS: Opportunities in sourcing: cc0
- Gerolsteiner Logo: Geroldsteiner
- The 12th AIRTEC, always one step ahead: CC0
- Caravan16_JV6689: Photo: Messe Düsseldorf, Constanze Tillmann. Exclusive Exploitation rights with Messe Düsseldorf, Messeplatz, D-40474 Düsseldorf, www.messe-duesseldorf.de
- inter airport Europe 2017: Trend of the “interconnected airport” opens up new possibilities for the airport industry: cc0
- Wolfgang Weyand will reinforce the Musikmesse and Prolight + Sound Team at Messe Frankfurt Exhibition GmbH and take the helm of the Business Relations & Entertainment Department. In this position, he will be in charge of the entire complementary programme of events of Musikmesse and Prolight + Sound – from special information, networking and professional development events for trade visitors to the entertainment programme at the Exhibition Centre and in the city. Additionally, he will liaise with the trade associations and be responsible for communicating with external cooperation partners. In will report to Michael Biwer, Group Show Director of the ‘Entertainment Media & Creative Industries’ Business Unit.: CC0
- India Preview: Agritechnica
- efa 2017: Turn the Spotlight on for energy-efficient lighting technology: Leipziger Messe GmbH / Fotograf: Martin Klindtworth / fotomartinklindtworth.de
- ISH China & CIHE 2017 gathered a record high of 61,612 visitors – an 18.2% increase from previous edition: hk.messefrankfurt.com
- From the Start-up Village to the World of Experience: dmexco 2017 is entering the busy phase: cc0
- New highlights in the MEDICA programme: cc0
- The network for trade and its partners: Grand Plaza is going into its second edition at EXPO REAL in 2017 and is now enlarged with the addition of six new exhibitors. Trend topics like e-commerce, the boom in outlet centers and the shopping centers of tomorrow are examined at Speakers’ Corner.: http://www.exporeal.net | Messe München
- internationales-rahmenprogramm: Photo: Messe München | Messe München
- Leonardo Exhibits At IDEX and NAVDEX, Promoting A Wide Range of Security, Aerospace, and Cyber Solutions: Pixabay
- SAVE THE DATE. BIE – BIOMASS INNOVATION EXPO 2018: Pixabay
- EXPO 2017 to Hold Roadshow in European Countries: Flickr / Dmitry Kalinin | CC BY 2.0
- Master Builders Solutions® at BetonTage trade show in Neu-Ulm: Flickr / Health Gauge | CC BY 2.0
- CIA Roadsign Langley: Flickr / Ben Stanfield | CC BY 2.0
- EuroShop 2014, The World´s Leading Retail Trade Fair: Photo: Messe Duesseldorf / ctillmann
- WASSER BERLIN INTERNATIONAL 2017: More innovative – more informative – more international: (Photo: View into hall 5.2 / wasser-berlin.de)
- Isabell Werth, DSP Belantis (Foto: Stefanie Schrader): Stefanie Schrader - Equitana.com
- Exciting insights into an industry with a promising future – renowned employers introduce themselves – IDS as a career kick: The Career Day of the International Dental Show (IDS) 2017: La Citta Vita | Flickr | CC BY 2.0
- Huawei to Showcase Latest ICT Innovations at CeBIT 2017: Kārlis Dambrāns / Flickr | CC BY 2.0
- TrendSet has sustained its international orientation.: Trendset
- IMM Hallendurchblick, Passage 10/ 4: IMM Kölnmesse
- BAU2017_pl0034: Messe München | Messe München
- New southern section of Messe Düsseldorf: MEDICA also benefits from the renovation: Messe Düsselorf
- Visitors to Iran’s Agrotech Agropars farm exhibition will have the opportunity to find out more about Agritechnica, the world’s leading trade fair for agricultural machinery that takes place every two years in Germany.: Agritechnica | CC BY 2.0
- gamescom (22 to 26 August 2017) is the world’s largest event for computer and video games. Tickets are coveted every year and sold out in advance sale long before the start of the event.: Fiesta Tickets by Martin Lewison / Flickr | CC BY 2.0
- CDN solutions group to focus on digitalization in CEBIT Hannover 2017, Germany: Flickr / Patrick Heinecke
- Paris Skyline: Flickr / Moyan Brenn | CC BY 2.0
- Power Hoops: Flickr / Vladimir Morozov | CC BY 2.0
- SWM2016_ch0932: AlexSchelbert.de / Spielwarenmesse eG
- EuroShop11_1217J: by Messe Duesseldorf
- 1:0 for good vision in school sport: Flickr / USAG- Humphreys | CC BY 2.0